Thursday, January 17, 2013

My HR Innovation Rant: Why I Write My Blog


I wake up trying to think of new ways to tackle much of the old thinking that most of HR is bogged down by. I am fascinated by the potential for real, positive change that technology can bring about. I hate the fear-mongers who worry more about the risk than the reward. I love fighting the fight for a truly open information environment.

Traditional employment is stale and stultifying. 

I want to see people liberated by a new employee economy. I love the reaction I get when I write or speak about this topic. Most people love it, some are skeptical and some are afraid of it. 

Stirring up the dialog is what is exciting.

The New Employee Economy is powered by the flow of data that will enable a workforce that is not based on jobs and careers, but based on the free market of resources, ideas, skills and tools that move about the marketplace in much the same way other goods and services do today. The corporation of the future is predicted to be made up of less than 20% traditional employees. To get there, human resource data has to flow freely.

There are two problems that keep us from an open market for human resources. The first is fear of data privacy. People don't want too much of the data about themselves to be "out there." The second is tradition. We have always done work the same way (or at least for the last 100 years or so). The more knowledge we can share about how the world of work can change - the sooner we will overcome these obstacles.

I want to be an oar in the water pushing along the ideas that will change work forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment